Supporting self-determination & SDS
- Self-Directed Supports, A Report of The Wisconsin Self-Directed Supports Cross-Unit Functional Team and the Wisconsin Self-Directed Supports Stakeholders Committee (PDF) Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services, prepared by The Management Group, September 2006.
- Chapter HFS 10 (PDF) Policy of the WI Self-Directed benefit within Family Care.
- Individual Budget Worksheets – This is a sample workbook (MS Excel) from Community Living Services of Oakland County Michigan (note- this workbook contains multiple worksheets).
- Rate Development Worksheet – This is a sample worksheet (MS Excel) from Community Living Services of Oakland County Michigan.
Risk and liability
- Consumer Safety, Risk And Risk-Taking: A Guide For Community Long-Term Care (PDF) by Ann Pooler, Wisconsin
- Model Risk Agreement (sample form in PDF format).
Direct Support Professionals and Service Providers
- Credentialing and Qualification Packet – This is from Community Living Services of Oakland County Michigan.
- Authorized Supports and Services – This is from Community Living Services of Oakland County Michigan.
- Finding Common Ground, Dane County, WI (PDF) – What Providers Want Parents to Know, What Parents Want Providers to Know
Policies & procedures: reviews of plans; restricting SDS; grievance
- Self-Determination Agreement – This sample agreement is from Community Living Services of Oakland County Michigan.
Community: Utilizing community resources, community membership, and community development
Reflecting on Social Roles (PDF) Self-Determination Agreement Identifying Opportunities to Support Personal Freedom and Social Integration, by John O’Brien. This document “offers a way to identify capacities that, once developed, will expand a community’s ability to offer individualized supports that promote personal freedom and integration.”
SDS and employment
More Than Just a Job: (article) Person-Centered Career Planning
Independent advice and support for consumers using SDS
(e.g., support broker, personal agent, flexible case managers): roles; job descriptions; training; qualifications
- A Few Thoughts on Support Coordination and Self-Directed Supports (PDF) by Dennis Harkins, A Simpler Way
- Supports Coordination Agreement – This sample is from Community Living Services of Oakland County Michigan.
- Supports Broker Agreement – This sample is from Community Living Services of Oakland County Michigan and includes information related to Support Broker qualifications and job requirements.
Quality Standards for Support Brokers (Dane County, WI) – The purpose of this guide is to document the shared understanding of Dane County Adult Community Services and the Support Broker Coalition of the current role and best practices for Support Brokers.
Person-Centered Planning is an outward sign of the presence of respect for the value of all persons.
The basic beliefs at the root of the Person-Centered Planning process are that:
All people have the right to plan lives for themselves that are personally meaningful and satisfying.
All people have talents and strengths that they have the responsibility to develop.
- Person-centered Planning Education; (Cornell University) This site includes an overview of the person-centered planning process and a self-study course covering the basic process involved.
- Person-Centered Planning: Building Partnerships And Supporting Choices (PDF) This document provides an overview of how Person-Centered Planning. It also includes a discussion of the values, roles and responsibilities included in California’s approach to person-centered planning.
- Person-centered planning: Revised Practice Guideline (PDF) This document provides guidance on integrating person-centered planning into Michigan’s service-delivery system. It defines the values, principals and essential elements of person-centered planning, and discusses how it complements managed care strategies for planning for, and delivery of, supports, services and/or treatment.
- Person-Centered Plan – This sample is from Community Living Services of Oakland County Michigan.
- Solution Circles (Inclusion Network) – This is a short and powerful tool that is effective in getting “unstuck” from a problem. Solution Circles are tools of “community capacity”.
- Essential Lifestyles Planning Forms (Delaware) – Essential Lifestyle Plan Personal Profile and Essential Lifestyle Plan Workbook templates.
- Tools to learn about PATH planning (Inclusion Press) – A list of recommended books and videos regarding PATH planning.
Questions & issues related to directing support staff:
Employer structures (co-employer; employer of record; fiscal agents and fiscal intermediaries); rights and responsibilities of being an employer; ensuring compliance with legal requirements of employment; back-up plans; worker’s compensation insurance
Transition from high school: working with schools
Interagency Agreement for Transition Services (PDF) Developed by Wisconsin’s Department’s of Public Instruction (DPI), Health and Family Services (DHFS), and the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR).