Trauma’s Influence on the Brain, Body, and Behavior: Promoting Healing & Well-Being
November 11 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pmFree
This training is FULL.
Life experiences shape who we are. This session will highlight the impact of negative life experiences, such as trauma and stress, on the lives of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. It will provide information on how to recognize the influence of negative life experiences on behavioral, mental, and physical health. From a brain and healing perspective, the session will also provide strategies on how to proactively support individuals who exhibit what others may define as “difficult behaviors” while also promoting health and well-being.
This session will provide:
- An understanding of different types of trauma and stress
- The impact that stress and trauma have in the lives of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities
- An introduction to basic brain functions and the effects of trauma on brain development and functioning
- Information about how to recognize some of the most common physical and behavioral expressions of trauma
- Strategies for proactive behavioral support and the promotion of well-being in individuals who have experienced trauma
- Considerations and recommendations on how take care of ourselves as caregivers to promote our own well-being
Webinar will include a 2-hour presentation with opportunities for participant engagement.
About the Presenter:
Angela Marx, PhD, is a licensed psychologist in Wisconsin. She has been joining with children, adolescents, adults, and families in various roles and places for more than half her life and spent 12 years in academia studying and training in clinical psychology. Although she considers herself a scientist and uses research and knowledge, she also knows that there is so much more that we do not yet know and focuses on each person’s experiences to join and learn with them. Dr. Marx also has extensive practical and research experience with and provides clinical consultation to caregivers and direct support professionals. Dr. Marx has a private practice, Place of Mind LLC, that specializes in psychological assessment and mental health and wellness with neurodivergent children, adolescents, and adults to help them discover and define who they are and find, or create, the places where they belong and flourish.
CERTIFICATES OF PARTICIPATION/CONTINUING EDUCATION HOURS WILL BE PROVIDED TO PARTICIPANTS WHO HAVE:
- Completed the pre-test
- Attend the 2-hour webinar
- Complete the post-test