- This event has passed.
Power and Control: Learning to Use It Respectfully
Wednesday, December 16, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pmFree
As caregivers, we are in a close and complicated relationship with the individuals we support. We are asked to ensure certain levels of health and safety, while also giving the client the dignity of personhood and autonomy. This complicated relationship can be wrought with disagreements that may lead to power struggles and attempts to control the situation.
This session will help you:
- recognize the power dynamic between a person and their support provider
- consider the nature of that relationship
- identify the intentional and unintentional ways we as support providers and caregivers may exert power and control
- and how we can avoid or de-escalate power struggles
Webinar will include a 2-hour presentation with opportunities for participant engagement.
Certificates of Participation/Continuing Education Hours will be provided to participants who:
- Complete the pre-test
- Attend the 2-hour webinar
- Complete the post-test
About the Presenter:
Shawn Bass is a Behavior Consultant with UW-Madison’s Waisman Center Community TIES program. He has over 19 years’ experience working with people with disabilities. With a degree in special education, he was a teacher for six years. He has also worked in residential, respite, in-home therapy, and community-based services; as well as being a support person in crisis situations to divert emergency detentions.